To try and motivate our bloggers to get inbound links we're going to have a contest to see which blogger can get the most inbound links to their blog. The contest begins now and ends July 31st, 2008. To be entered in to the contest all you have to do is go out and get as many websites to link to your blog as you can and at the end of the month send us an email listing all those links. All links must be active from August 1st through August 7th when we'll be judging the entries - a winner will be announced on August 7th. All entry emails must be received by Midnight on July 31st, 2008. You can email them to email@example.com
We're going to impose some restrictions on the types of links you can get so please see below for the full list of links that do NOT count.
To get started simply go to Google and find other websites and blog that are about the sports and teams that you write about. Email the website owner and ask them for a link by explaining that you think your blog would be a good resource for their readers. Or offer to write a guest post for them with your by-line and URL at the bottom of the article. Or offer to exchange links with them by writing a quick write up of their site and a reciprocal link back to them. Some webmasters will be happy to add you to their blog roll even if you don't give them a link back (which is ideal) but some may want you to link back to them - you can easily do this with a quick blog entry on your blog about their website.
To learn more about inbound links and marketing your blog in general check out this post:
We will pay the winner either by Pay Pal or check - which ever method is easier for the winner. A winner will be announced on August 7th.
* Contest Restrictions (please read) The winner of the contest will be the person with the most inbound links to their blog. However, for the purposes of this contest these types of links will NOT count:
1. Paid links. Please do not buy links through a link broker. It won't be worth the cost or effort, we won't count them for this contest, and your entry will be disqualified.
2. Links in comments or forums. While these links are a good easy way to get inbound links and you should be trying to get them, for the purposes of this contest it would only encourage comment and forum spam so we're not going to count them.
3. Links to your blog from anywhere on our network of sports sites. While any link to your blog is a good link, for this contest we want our bloggers to go outside of our network of sports sites to get inbound links so we won't be counting links that come from our own network of sports sites.
4. Links on newly created pages / sites for the sole purpose of this contest. It's easy to create profiles on sites like Blogspot and then link to your blog. Since the pages these links reside on have virtually no real content the value of these links is next to nothing, so we're not going to count them. Please do not create a bunch of accounts on different blogging websites and then try and use those as inbound links. If you do this you will be disqualified from the contest. As a general rule, the page you're getting the link from must have been created before July 15th 2008 so that it's clearly not a page that was created for the sole purpose of linking to your blog.
5. One link per domain name. If you run another blog you're more than welcome to create an inbound link to your blog on our site and it will count, but if you put up 100 links to your blog you will still only get credit for 1 link. The same goes for social networking sites like Facebook. If you have 100 friends in your Facebook network and they all link to your sports blog you will only get credit for one link because they are all from the same domain. Getting these types of inbound links does have value and you should be trying to get them, however, it isn't quite what we're looking for for this contest. If you have a Facebook account by all means link to your blog (hopefully you've already done this ages ago!) and it will count. If you run another blog by all means link to your blog on our network of sports sites (hopefully you've already done this, too) and it will count. But it will just count once for every distinct domain name.
The purpose of this contest it to go out and network with other webmasters / bloggers who have an interest in the same sports / teams that you do. If you attempt to game the system in any way your entry will be disqualified and you'll likely be deleted from our network of sports sites. If you have a question about whether something will count use common sense or email me and ask me. From the 5 items above you should be able to get a feel for what we're looking for and what to avoid.
Did you know you could be earning money from your blog?
Keywords: All Websites